Evotec buys in India to quicken drug development services

By Nick Taylor

- Last updated on GMT

Related tags: Evotec, Pharmacology

By acquiring a stake in India-based RSIPL Evotec believes it can offer clients quicker drug development services, an important aspect of coping with attrition, because larger teams of chemists are available in emerging markets.

Werner Lanthaler, CEO of Evotec, told Outsourcing-Pharma that the in-built attrition of drug candidates means companies want to quicken development so failing projects can be abandoned earlier.

The challenges facing pharma, both the economy and difficulties replenishing pipelines, have increased the importance of improving development. Evotec believes that acquiring 70 per cent of Research Support International Private Limited (RSIPL) will help it meet these clients’ needs.

Lanthaler explained that acquiring a stake in a laboratory with 160 chemists allows Evotec to perform large projects and quicken drug development. Teams of this size are rarely available in the UK or Germany, where Evotec has facilities, and consequently the company looked to India.

Clients were conferred with prior to the acquisition and Lanthaler believes there is a demand for the offering the expanded business will be able to provide. In addition India, and RSIPL in particular, has the training and qualifications needed to add value to Evotec’s service offering, according to Lanthaler.

RSIPL provides chemistry drug discovery and development services and has capacity to synthesise virtually all types of organic compounds from milligram to kilogram scale.

Evotec paid €2.8m for a 70 per cent controlling majority stake in RSIPL. It also has a call option to purchase the remaining 30 per cent from DIL Limited in the event of a change of control.

Essential integration

The process of integration is now underway. Lanthaler regards this process as key, stating that an acquisition is only as good as its integration. To help this process staff from the India site will come to the laboratories in the UK and Germany, and vice-versa.

Lanthaler added that “exchange of knowledge is essential for integration​” and the transferring of staff is intended to allow this to occur.

Related news

Show more

Related products

show more

Has EDC Kept Up With Changes In Clinical Trials?

Has EDC Kept Up With Changes In Clinical Trials?

Oracle Health Sciences | 14-Dec-2020 | Technical / White Paper

In just a few decades, clinical trials have changed dramatically. Twenty years ago, most of the data used in clinical research was entered on paper, but...

Liver Disease Capabilities

Liver Disease Capabilities

Q² Solutions | 01-Oct-2020 | Clinical Study

We integrate therapeutic insights, state-of-the-art technologies, best-in-class methods and quality systems to optimize NAFLD & NASH study design,...

CAR-T Cell Therapy

CAR-T Cell Therapy

Q² Solutions | 01-Sep-2020 | Clinical Study

Cell therapy involves the transfer of genetically altered cells into a patient. As a global central laboratory services organization, we provide testing...

Related suppliers

Follow us


View more