Medpace joins list of CROs attracting private equity investment

By Gareth Macdonald

- Last updated on GMT

Related tags: Investment

New York-headquartered private equity investment group CCMP Capital will buy a majority stake in US CRO Medpace.

According to various reports​ CCMP will pay as much as $600m (€428m) for 80 per cent of the privately-owned Cincinnati, Ohio contract research organisation (CRO) with the management team retaining the remaining 20 per cent.

Medpace is just the latest in a growing list of CROs to attract private equity investment​, following hot on the heels of Omnicare​ which was acquired by Nautic Partners earlier this month.

The prevailing wisdom is that the wave of consolidation sweeping the sector - INC’s bid for Kendle​ and CliniPace’s move for PFC Pharma Focus​ being the most recent examples - is attractive to investors seeking a lucrative exit strategy in a few years time.

Support for this idea came last week when inVentiv Health announced plans to buy PharmaNet​ from private equity firm JLL Partners, which had owned the CRO since 2009.

CCMP did not respond to Outsourcing-pharma.com’s request for more information about its motivation for the Medpace deal.

Investments

In a press statement Medpace CEO August Troendle, who will remain in his post when the acquisition is completed next month, said the deal will give the CRO the financial clout to enact its growth strategy.

The transaction will provide resources to make the strategic long-term investments that are needed to advance our leadership position, grow the core the business and expand our global reach​.”

Medpace’s most recent investments were medical device trials firm Symbios Clinical​, in April 2010, and Germany-based​regulatory specialist Medical Consulting Dr Schlichtiger​ in January of that year.

The firm is also building a new 132,000 sq ft headquarters in Madisonville, Ohio near Cincinnati, which it said will create 760 new jobs when fully operational in 2014.

Related news

Show more

Related products

show more

baxter_bloomington_facility_larger

Sterile Injectables Contract Manufacturing

Baxter BioPharma Solutions | 02-Apr-2018 | Product Brochure

Baxter BioPharma Solutions' award-winning facility in Bloomington, Indiana, USA, is a leader in sterile contract manufacturing of injectable products.

lyo_development

Lyophilization Scale-Up and Tech Transfer

Baxter BioPharma Solutions | 12-Mar-2018 | Technical / White Paper

There are few challenges when increasing the scale of production for a solution formulation, but the challenges drastically increase when the formulation...

Leveraging Best Practices in Primary Packaging

Leveraging Best Practices in Primary Packaging

Catalent Pharma Solutions | 05-Mar-2018 | Technical / White Paper

When planning a clinical trial, overlooking the importance of primary packaging can be a mistake. From stability concerns to labeling to patient compliance...

VDS groß

Meet the challenges of complex injectables

Vetter Pharma International GmbH | 07-Nov-2017 | Technical / White Paper

In the time it takes from the exciting discovery phase to the rigorous demands of a commercial launch, unexpected scientific and technical challenges can...

Related suppliers